#1 Rated Permanent Pavement Repair | The Pothole Solution
Perma-Patch has been trusted for over 90 years by professionals to make high quality, permanent pavement repairs while minimizing traffic interruptions. Additionally, Perma-Patch eliminates constant repeat repairs that are necessary when using products like standard bulk cold patch and hot asphalt. Our technology and proprietary mix beats out the competition and is proven to be the most durable pavement repair product by Federal Highway testing.
PROVEN MOST DURABLE
Per Federal Strategic Highway Research Project “SHRP” Test.
Open. Pour. Done. Easy to use with no mixing or preparation.
Handles your toughest applications.
2 YEAR SHELF LIFE
Always ready. Keep on hand with no waste.
ACCEPTS TRAFFIC IMMEDIATELY
No drying or curing time.
To asphalt, concrete, steel, wood, and other hard surfaces.
APPLIED IN WATER
Can be added to water-filled potholes and areas.
ALL SEASON USE
Works in all seasons and all climates.
USED IN THIN DEPRESSIONS
Can be applied as thin as 1/4 inch.
THE WHOLE STORY
With instant results, Perma-Patch is a fantastic solution for any pavement repair.
Pavement repairs have never been easier, simply open, apply, compact, and the repair is complete.
CHARACTERISTICS & ADVANTAGES
- Perma-Patch is environmentally friendly with no VOC emissions and little or no waste when poured from a bag. If all material is not used, the bag can be re-closed and used at a later date.
- Perma-Patch bags can be easily transported in small vehicles, using only one driver/worker, which is extremely helpful during emergency and non-standard work hours.
- Perma-Patch can be stored in a small warehouse or under tarpaulins, saving space and the cost of a large bulk storage site.
- Perma-Patch in bags eliminates the possibility of contamination from salt, stone, sand, dirt, etc. that would affect the performance of the product.
- Perma-Patch is a permanent paving material which is far superior to standard "cold patch" in ease of use and durability. Standard cold patch only holds together temporarily. It rapidly disintegrates much like candy popcorn because of lack of cohesion between its aggregate. Standard cold patch sets up by evaporation of its hydrocarbon solvents. Perma-Patch, on the other hand, is a proprietary formula composed of asphalt, special aggregate and pressure-sensitive plastics. It sets up by compaction rather than by evaporation. It is not temporary, but it is permanent paving. Unlike standard cold patch, Perma-Patch can be feathered to the thickness of its aggregate and adheres so strongly to existing paving that even a shallow dip can be leveled by placing a very thin layer of Perma-Patch on the street surface. Even more significantly, it can be used in standing water with no adverse effects. No tack coat or any other type of adhesive is required to bond Perma-Patch to the existing pavement.
For the repair of potholes and small utility cuts and trenches, Perma-Patch is far more durable than hot mix asphalt for the following reasons:
- Perma-Patch adheres to the surrounding pavement and acts like a large expansion joint. Because of its self-sealing qualities it will not crack or separate from the existing pavement thereby preventing the infiltration of water. Conversely, a hot asphalt patch will within a short time separate from the surrounding pavement permitting water to flow beneath the patched area. This leads to the rapid deterioration and failure of the patch and surrounding pavement. Potholes will reoccur when repaired with hot mix asphalt.
- Perma-Patch flexes with movement and vibration, but does not crack like hot mix asphalt; therefore it makes a far superior repair on bridges, around manhole or valve covers and other applications where vibration, movement and heavy pounding are present.
- Perma-Patch can be used at any temperature, any season. Hot mix asphalt is not even manufactured during cold weather because it crystallizes when used under 35 degrees F. Perma-Patch unlike hot mix asphalt can be used in wet rainy weather with no adverse effects and yet remain permanent.
- Tack coat is required in the application of hot asphalt but there is no need to use tack coat with Perma-Patch as it is self-adhesive. Perma-Patch creates a very strong bond and adheres to stone, wood, steel, asphalt, and concrete. However, it does not adhere to rubber tires.
- A dump truck, a large crew of workers and heavy compaction equipment is required for the placement of hot mix asphalt, whereas minimal or no equipment, is required for placing and compacting Perma-Patch. Perma-Patch can be poured directly from the bag into the pothole or utility cut and compacted by the weight of traffic. For better appearing repairs, or for repairs of lightly traveled areas, vibratory plate compactors or hand tampers may be used.
- Hot mix asphalt requires a trip to the asphalt plant and a long wait to be loaded. In addition, any hot asphalt that is not promptly used must be discarded. There is no delay or expensive dump fees when using Perma-Patch.
Perma-Patch has been used for over twenty years by contractors and maintenance personnel to make high quality, permanent repairs while minimizing traffic interruptions. Perma-Patch eliminates constant repeat repairs necessary when using standard cold patch and even hot asphalt on the same damaged areas. Sewer, water, and gas utility contractors, fiber optic cable installers, location and test pit investigators using conventional or vacuum method technology have successfully used Perma-Patch to permanently repair their utility cuts. Perma-Patch has shown its reliability and durability on thousands of highways and bridges throughout the United States and in many foreign countries over many years.
Wherever repairs to utility cuts, potholes, or roads are made using hot mix asphalt, within three months after a standard repair, there will be a gradual increase in the separation of the old paving from the new paving. This separation is due to the difference in the thermal expansion rate between the new and the old pavement. This separation allows water to penetrate under the paved area which leads not only to gradual disintegration of the repaired area, but extends to the existing street base. This problem is compounded by freezing and/or by wet conditions. The practical solution to this problem is to substitute Perma-Patch for hot mix asphalt. Perma-Patch eliminates this separation, because underlying the hard surface layer of Perma-Patch is a pliable layer of Perma-Patch acting as a large expansion joint constantly sealing the interface between the surrounding paving and the new Perma-Patch repair material.
Immediately after the repair is made, Perma-Patch is ready for traffic. Since Perma-Patch contains pressure-sensitive plastics, the greater the amount of traffic, the faster Perma-Patch sets up
There is no need to resurface the areas which have been repaired with Perma-Patch as Perma-Patch becomes as durable and long lasting as the surrounding paved areas. However, if desired, the Perma-Patch repair may be resurfaced like any other pavement.
- Perma-Patch is used for repairing potholes and utility cuts in highways, roads, streets, parking areas, driveways and bridge decks. Perma-Patch adheres to steel and is used for repairs around manholes and drainage grates.
- Perma-Patch is ready for use from the bag. No mixing or tack coat is required as Perma-Patch acts as its own adhesive. Pour directly from the bag or container into the pothole.
- Perma-Patch can be used at all times of the year and in all weather conditions from below 0° to above 105°F, wet or dry.
- Perma-Patch displaces water and may be poured directly into potholes containing standing water.
- Small loose aggregate can be left in place. Large loose aggregate should be removed.
- Use Perma-Patch instead of hot mix asphalt for repairs of utility cuts and cable trenches for longer lasting repairs.
- Allow traffic to immediately drive over a Perma-Patch repaired pothole – the more traffic, the faster the setup time.
- Perma-Patch is packaged in weather resistant wet strength multi-ply bags, but should be stored in a dry area to prevent deterioration of the packaging. If a bag does get wet, the bag will regain 90% of its strength when it dries out.
- Clean tools with soy based cleansers or with solvents like kerosene and mineral spirits (paint thinner).
- Do not apply heat to Perma-Patch or use kerosene, mineral spirits (paint thinner), or any other solvents in the application and use of Perma-Patch.
- Areas patched with Perma-Patch can be resurfaced like any other pavement.
Description: An all season, all weather, permanent cold asphalt patching material consisting of a unique blend of special polymers, pressure sensitive plastics, and ¼” grade angular aggregate.
It is used throughout the United States and internationally with extraordinary success for pothole and utility cut repairs.
Characteristics: It can be applied in any weather condition in temperatures ranging from -5◦ to 105◦ F without any mixing, tack coating, or costly waiting time.
Use: Most durable for quick and permanent repairs of potholes, depressions, utility cuts, cable/fiber optic trenches, around manhole covers, utility boxes, and bridge expansion joints.
Bonding: Bonds to asphalt, concrete, steel/metal, and wood. It will not bond to rubber tires, and accepts immediate traffic.
Application: Perma-Patch is poured, ready to use, directly from the bag—no mixing, no tack coat. The repair area requires no special preparation—remove any large/loose aggregate, pour product in (overfill by ½”- ¾”), spread out evenly with rake or shovel, and compact using a hand tamper, vibrating plate compactor, or the pressure of passing traffic. After compaction, the repair area is ready for immediate traffic.
Performance: Perma-Patch was independently rated the No. 1 permanent cold applied patch repair material by the Federal government in their Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP) study with the lowest failure rate. All other products tested had failure rates 30%-70% higher. Please see SHRP report in our brochure or on our website www.permapatch.com .
Curing: Perma-Patch is unique in that it becomes hard on the surface from dynamic pressure, while remaining semi-soft underneath. This permits it to expand and contract with the changes in pressure and temperatures. Because of our special formula, Perma-Patch remains semi-pliable underneath—acting like a mini-expansion joint, while creating a water tight seal on the surface. The higher the volume of traffic over Perma-Patch, the faster it sets up. Perma-Patch also has excellent bonding strength allowing it to form to the contours of the pothole to prevent further degradation of the surrounding pavement through elimination of water penetration.
Packaging: Perma-Patch comes in a specially constructed 60 lb. (27.2 kg) 4 ply poly lined water resistant wet strength Kraft bag. The shelf life of Perma-Patch is a minimum of 2 (two) years—twice that of other products on the market. Perma-Patch is also available in 30 lb. and 50 lb. pails.
Storage: Bags should be kept in a dry/covered area. Though the product can be used in water-filled holes, storage of bags should be in dry conditions to prevent deterioration of the paper plies. Should the bag become wet, allow it to fully dry before handling.
Coverage: Approximately 60 lbs. (27.2 kgs) per Perma-Patch bag fills 0.48 cubic feet (0.0127 m³) of area—6 square foot area, 1” deep. The reverse side of our bag has an estimated usage chart.
Baltimore, MD 21215